If you’re anything like me, you love your mother dearly, but are continually late to the party when it comes to getting Mother’s Day gifts. You’re distracted by this beautiful weather and the day creeps up on you year after year.
Luckily for you, Indy has an abundance of local gift options just minutes from your front door. And I’m here to present to you The Ultimate Indy Mother’s Day Gift Guide:
1. Homespun: Modern Handmade | Located on the north end of Mass. Ave, Homespun is one of my go-to shops for any gift, but it’s especially perfect for moms. No where else in Indy can you find such a wide selection of contemporary (mostly local!) handmade goods including jewelry, bath & body products, artisanal foods, housewares, stationery, artwork, apparel and more.
2. Wildwood Market | My newest obsession, Wildwood Market, is located in Fountain Square in an old car garage. The market is a neighborhood grocery store carrying local produce, farm fresh eggs, house-made items, prepared foods, and more. I’m picturing the most perfect Mother’s Day recipe basket being created from an assortment of items at Wildwood. The best part? Meg Catherine Flowers makes jaw-droppingly beautiful flower arrangements regularly for the market. Check out her Instagram account right now. Swooning.
3. The Inventorialist | The Inventorialist is an antiques and vintage store located in the adorable Cottage Home Neighborhood. While you never know what you’re going to find at this everchanging little store, you know it’s going to be quirky and cool.
4. Best Chocolate in Town & Mass Ave Wine | Also located on the north end of Mass Ave, is the beloved Best Chocolate in Town and Mass Ave Wine shop. You really can’t go wrong giving mom the classic wine and chocolate combo. Throw in a massage from Evan Todd Spa and Salon, and you just became her favorite child.
5. Museum Gift Shops | I hope I’m not the only one who totally geeks out over the amazing museums we have here in Indy. Almost better then the museums themselves though, are the gift shops. My personal faves are the Indianapolis Museum of Art, the Indiana State Museum and the Eiteljorg Museum. For those fellow art and history nerds out there, check out one of these gift shops for your mom.
I have an unwritten rule to spend more money on experiences than things. With that in mind, here are a few local experience options to share with your mom:
- Cake Bake Shop | If you haven’t been, you’re missing out. If you have been, then you surely want to go back. At the shop, you will find an assortment of mouthwatering cakes, pies, cookies and more. Added bonus: there is glitter on the desserts. I repeat, glitter on the desserts. I guarantee your mom will love it.
- Mimosa & Masterpiece | Relax for an evening with your mom and bring out your artsy side at this “paint and sip” art studio located in the heart of Mass Ave.
- Indy Mixture | Indy Mixture is the first annual Indy Cocktail Tour. The event starts in the Wholesale District and travels to Mass Ave, Fletcher Place and Fountain Square…following some of Indy’s best bartenders. What better way to celebrate your mom than with a few craft cocktails?
I’m confident you can find the perfect Mother’s Day gift with these options…and you’re staying #trndy by shopping local. Best of luck to you, my friends. And Happy Mother’s Day to all of our lovely moms out there!
Have a favorite shop not on the list or the perfect gift for Mother’s Day? Sound off in the comments below!
Written by: Camryn Walton